Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cuy Festival

Props to Emily Guthrie for sending this to me. In Peru, they do eat guinea pig, or "cuy" in Spanish, and according to this clip, a lot of it. I've had it a few times when it was served to me, and although it wasn't my favorite dish ever, I'll have to admit it wasn't that bad. It's more popular in the mountains than the coast, so I didn't have it on a regular basis. This festival showcases some of the traditional mountain garb- you don't see many folks in Trujillo or Lima dressed like that, but it's definitely still the style in many parts of Peru. When Peruvians ask me about my time in Peru or what Peruvian cuisine I've tried, they always are eager to ask if I've tried cuy. Most have heard that we have them as pets in the States, so they think it's funny to watch our reactions when asked if we've eaten them.

No comments: