Thursday, May 28, 2009

in Uganda

Greetings from Kampala, Uganda! I hope to post some pictures of my last few days soon. We traveled to Uganda from Nairobi yesterday, and have met up with some other missionaries and EAFC students here. I've been in touch with and even met some Ugandans who have done Chalmers training in their communities, and it's amazing to see the Lord working through them to transform their communities.

On Tuesday morning while still in Nairobi, I toured Kibera slums. I have seen and worked among poverty for many years and heard all about Kibera, but it didn't really prepare me for the depth and especially the breadth of the poverty there. Over 1 million people crammed in one slum is mind-boggling. One tour is not enough to understand all that's going on, but it has renewed my zeal for economic development, ministry to the poor, and a desire to see God's "Kingdom come and His will be done on earth as it is in Heaven."

The day before visiting Kibera, I read Psalm 107 and how God will turn "a desert into pools of water, a parched land into springs of water. And there he lets the hungry dwell, and they establish a city to live in;....when they are dimished and brough low through oppression, evil and sorrow, he pours contempt on princes and makes them wander in trackless wastes; but he raises up the needy out of affliction and makes their families like flocks. The upright see it and are glad and all wickedness shuts its mouth." After seeing the poverty and injustices of Kabera, I am thankful that we serve a God who cares for the poor and I pray that my heart will be moved to love and service to the poor just as my Lord's is. What a comfort to know that Jesus came to make all things new and what an honor and privilege that He chooses to use us, His servants, in ministering the Good News of the Kingdom.

More pictures and posts to come. It's late here and I need to head to bed, but I wanted to post something tonight. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement.

No comments: