Friday, January 15, 2010

Thinking About Haiti

My heart and mind have been full this week with images of Haiti and the devastation there. I wish I could hop on a plane and go down and help. I can't do that (nor do I think I'd be a whole lot of help- I can't speak the language, and I'm not a trained relief or medical professional), so I thought I could help by donating a portion of the sales of Peru Paper Co. this week towards relief work in Haiti. Here's our latest email update, explaining a little more (click on the picture to get a full-size view.)A portion of our sales will go to Food for the Hungry's relief efforts in Haiti. You can also click on the link to the right to make a donation to them or read more about their work. In that email, I reference the generosity of many towards the people of Peru after the earthquake there in 2007. To read some about that, visit my friend Clara's blog. She visited the affected areas a few times after the earthquake.

Also, there have been sad public statements displaying bad theology by some regarding the reasons for the earthquake (Russell Moore tweeted that "Pat Robertson's reported comments on Haiti are embarrassing, unhelpful, and counter-gospel. Jesus loves Haiti.") In light of this, I'd encourage you to read Al Mohler's article "Does God Hate Haiti?". And please, be in prayer for Haiti, and be generous in your giving towards credible relief agencies (I can let you know more if you're interested) so that those working can have the necessary resources to help those in need.

No comments: