Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Savings Not Shame: Arevalo Savings Group in Chalmers Newsletter

The story of the savings group I worked with in the Manuel Arévalo community a few years ago was recently highlighted in the latest edition of the Mandate e-Newsletter by the Chalmers Center.

It starts with:
"I walked into the Arévalo Presbyterian Church of Peru this past February to attend a women’s Bible study after being back in the U.S. for a few months. My friend Margarita ran up to greet me and excitedly told me “Grace, we did another savings group on our own, and it worked!” I too was excited to hear that, as the group had expressed considerable doubt the year before about their ability to run a savings group in my absence. Assuring them that they were capable was hardly convincing to them, but equipping them with the tools to execute a group on their own showed them a different, more persuasive reality about their giftedness and ability to use their God-given talents and the resources in their community to positively affect their situations."

Check out the entire article, entitled "Savings Not Shame" here. You can read the entire Mandate newsletter here.

No comments: