Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How Many Cards to Make a Kitchen?

One of the highlights of my recent trip to Peru was the Christmas party with the ladies of Peru Paper. We had hot chocolate and paneton (a cake they eat around Christmastime in Peru) and gave out Christmas baskets full of food and celebrated a great year of growth in the company. The women brought their families, so we had a great group.

Peru Paper women and families.

The party was held at Deisy's house in the Arévalo community. While she was making the hot chocolate for everyone, I walked into her kitchen and noticed it looked different from the last time I was there (over a year ago). I asked her if she'd made changes and she said "Yes, the tile on the floor and the walls are new, as well as the counters and the stove. I saved up my money from making cards and with that money, my husband and I put all this in." Oscar looked at me in amazement and said "that's an impact! You have to tell people in the States how this business is changing lives."
Deisy's kitchen now- Oscar and Monica look on while she makes hot chocolate.

At this point, I tried to remember back to what Deisy's house looked like before. I pulled up some old photos from other times we'd been in her house and I realized that previously, all the walls in her home were exposed adobe and brick; the floors were unfinished concrete or dirt; and there were only old, falling apart small tables, not counters, in her kitchen. I could hardly believe it, that employment with Peru Paper Company could bring about something so drastic as a kitchen floor. Now, most of the floors and walls in the house are finished, and the kitchen has tile and counters!
Deisy's kitchen before- check out the walls, counter, and floors.

I left the party thinking how blessed I am to do work that I love that is making a very real difference in the lives of many women in Peru. It's not every day you get to see in real life the truth we sing in Joy to the World that "He comes to make His blessings flow far as the curse is found." No matter which gifts I open on Christmas day, I've already gotten more than I could have asked for this Christmas.

1 comment:

Giancarlo said...

Amazing! And a huge Amen!