Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Sad Commentary


I came across this graffiti in Moyobamba (in the Peruvian jungle) a few days ago. It reads "Iglesia Nueva, Igual Pobreza" or "New Church, Poverty is Equal." How sad that we as the church of Jesus Christ are often guilty of this. A new church comes, yet the people near it do not feel the love of Christ, for they are often still hungry, still poor, still sick, and still oppressed, and they notice when the church does or does not act on their behalf. Ezekiel 16:49 speaks of the downfall of Sodom saying "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy."

As the people of God, the church is commanded to "seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause." (Isaiah 1:17). Equally, Christ says in Matthew 25 "for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me." These actions are expressions of true faith and are the response of a heart that has freely received the wonderful Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The Gospel changes everything and will affect all areas of life. Even places and circumstances full of the brokenness of poverty, injustice, and suffering will be changed by the Gospel. One of my favorite Christmas carols, "Joy to the World" speaks of this. One of the verses says "He comes to make His blessings flow far as the curse is found." Jesus Christ came to change people who would then change the world around them! The Gospel can and should bring the blessings of Jesus Christ to even the most hopeless, destitute places.

Let us pray that we as the church of Jesus Christ will never be accused of this sad commentary and that God will see fit to use us His servants to cause His blessings to flow even "far as the curse is found."

No comments: